Several key trends in the US leisure travel market at present, according to the World Travel Monitor® figures, include more short trips, rising interest in ‘authentic’ trips, adventure holidays, an increasing focus on health and wellness, culinary tourism, more up-market travel and an increase in ‘multi-generational’ travel. The health of the US travel market remains of vital interest to the worldwide travel and tourism industry. The country is both a leading source market and destination at the same time.
 
It is the world’s second-largest outbound travel market (behind Germany and ahead of the UK) in terms of the number of trips but is number one for spending. In addition, it is by far the largest long-haul source market, with 20% of all long-haul trips. About 60% of trips are for holiday purposes, while the remaining 40% are split between business travel and visiting friends and family (VFR). Regarding the type, Americans prefer sun & beach holidays, followed by tours,
cruises and city trips, according to World Travel Monitor® figures.
 
These are key results presented at the 23rd World Travel Monitor® Forum in Pisa, Italy.This ITB World Travel Trends Report 2015 / 2016 was again commissioned by ITB Berlin from IPK International, organizers of the 23rd annual World Travel Monitor® Forum, held at San Giuliano Terme, near Pisa, Italy, in late October 2015. The report covers the main trends in outbound travel demand for the first eight months of 2015 together with estimates for the full year and initial forecasts for 2016, as presented at the Pisa forum (as it is widely known).

Photo Credit ITB Berlin
 

Comment